Virginia Storm Damage Repair Checklist
If you live in the Northern Virginia area, you’re probably well aware of the need for a reliable Virginia storm damage repair service.
Although you are no stranger to harsh storms, snowfalls, and heavy rain, it can be difficult to remember what to do next when your home is affected.
Rather than trying to figure everything on your own, here’s a comprehensive storm damage repair checklist to help you inspect your home thoroughly.
Common Storm Damage / Item Checklist
Hail storms can take anyone by surprise, damaging roofs, windows, and cars in just a few minutes. Here’s what to look for in case of a hail storm.
- Roof Damage: Look at the shingles for missing granules or indents.
- Inspect downspouts for excessive granule build up.
- Look for dents on the siding.
- Interior Leaks: Inspect the ceiling after a heavy hail storm and look for water stains.
- Look for downward indentations or any signs of cracks.
When the wind is screaming, and it’s raining cats and dogs, you know your home is taking a beating. Inspect these areas carefully to better prepare your home for storm restoration.
- Roof Leaks. Look for wet spots or water dripping from the ceiling.
- Missing Shingles. Strong winds, heavy rain, or falling tree branches can pull off your roof’s shingles.
- Curling Shingles. When shingles are curled, they can no longer keep water from leaking through the roof.
- The Gutter. Look for excessive shingle granules in the gutter.
- Chimney Flashing. Look to see if the chimney flashing is missing or split.
After the flood water recedes and the cleanup is over, most people want to go back to their lives. But, make sure you inspect these areas carefully before proceeding to storm restoration.
- Carpets and Furnishing: Check all carpeting, furniture, and bedding for signs of damage.
- Electrical System: Do not plug in wet appliances until they have been check by an electrician. Even if they look fine, they might have internal damage.
- Look for signs of moisture on the walls. Even if they look clean, it’s better to dry them to prevent odor, mold, and structural decay.
- Basement and Attic: Check the attic and basement for accumulated water. Allow the floor to dry thoroughly before replacing it.
- Inspect Shingles: Inspect your roof and look for damaged or missing shingles.
When the force of a hurricane bears down on your home, you know you will need a comprehensive Virginia storm damage repair checklist.
- Even if your roof looks intact, make sure there are no missing or severely damaged shingles
- Inspect every window and look for chips and small cracks.
- Structural Damages: Look for bulges, sagging roof lines, and leaning walls.
- Make sure the walls are vertical and straight.
- The Basement: Make sure the basement is not flooded. If it is, switch off all electronics before going in.
Once the strong winds have died down, and you made sure everyone is safe, it’s time to look for signs of storm damage.
- Look for cracks in the walls or your foundation, especially around doors and windows.
- Check the levelness of the floors.
- Inspect the water heater and pump for water leaks.
- Even though your roof might look intact, keep an open eye for leaks
- Inspect the gutter to make sure there are no punctures and that the connections are secured.
Fallen trees can cause major damages to a home. Use this checklist to identify any tree damage to your home.
- Even if no tree branch has crashed through the roof during the storm, you still need to check for missing or damaged shingles.
- Look for chips or small cracks that might have been caused by falling tree branches.
- Driveways and walkways: Look for cracks and chips in the concrete on your driveway and walkway.
- Make sure the gutter is not detached.
- Look for cracking, dents, and chipping on the siding.
Finding Storm Damage Repair Services
If you believe that the damage is too much for you to handle alone, then it’s time to call a trusted storm restoration company. American Dream Restoration specializes in Virginia storm damage repair services.
We work with you through every step of the process, carefully analyzing the storm damage to your property and helping you repair your home as soon as possible.
Are you looking for roofing help?
Contact one of our local offices near you today.